Archaeological monitoring by Rathmell Archaeology Ltd on the demolition of the Stevenson Institute in Largs has recorded an early nineteenth century well. This well, discovered by accident, lies to the rear of the main buildings being demolished. Located on Lade Street the Brisbane School was built in 1842 before being renewed, and expanded, as the Stevenson Institute in 1893 for use as a social, literary and recreational centre. Since a fire in 2009 the building has lain abandoned and is now being cleared for a temporary carpark. The West of Scotland Archaeology Service advised North Ayrshire Council on the precautionary need for monitoring on ground disturbance associated with the proposal given the location of the building within the area of increased archaeological sensitivity associated with the oldest part of the town. It is located immediately to the north of the site of the Old Parish Church, which is on record from 1263. In addition, a mound in the area to the rear of the Institute is traditionally believed to be a Viking burial mound, and was later re-used as the site of a gallows.