Site Name: Dalquhurn House
Monument Type: Country House
Council: West Dunbartonshire
Map Sheet: NS37NE
Grid Reference: 239280, 677810
Canmore Number: 124497
Non-Statutory Register Code:
NS 3928 7781 and 3929 7782. Dalquhurn House is marked on the OS 1st edition 6" map at NS 3928 7781. Two other buildings are marked at around NS 3929 7782.
No visible walling survives, though there are a few shaped red sandstone blocks in the area. The site of the house is apparent as a slightly raised area with different vegetation (the site is avoided by the rosebay willow herb which stands about 5 feet high all around - perhaps because of lime mortar?).
There is no real trace of the two buildings at around NS 3929 7782, in an area of dense undergrowth.
The Dalquhurn bleach works were founded on the existing estate in 1715, so there is every possibility that this house pre-dates this.
The site of the house is not shown on the Leven Valley Heritage Trail noticeboard on the cycle track nearby.
Visited WoSAS (CF) 25/7/97
Entered WoSAS (CF) 04/11/99
West of Scotland Archaeology Service , 'West Dunbartonshire: Submission by WoSAS SMR', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland, 1997, p.82.(1997)
West of Scotland Archaeology Service, , '[sites identified and recorded in West Dunbartonshire during fieldwork carried out by the West of Scotland Archaeology Service]',Discovery and Excavation, Scotland,1997, pp.82,1998(1997)