Site Name: Dumbarton, St. Mary's Collegiate Church
Monument Type: Chapel; Collegiate Church
Council: West Dunbartonshire
Map Sheet: NS37NE
Grid Reference: 239765, 675590
Canmore Number: 42351
Non-Statutory Register Code: N
NS37NE 14 3976 7559.
(NS 3976 7559) Station on site of St Patrick's Collegiate Church (NR) AD 1450
OS 25" map (1860)
The Collegiate Church of Dumbarton was founded by Isabella, Countess of Lennox in 1450. From the Burgh Charter, 1609, it appears that, on 11th May 1453, the Town Council confirmed to Duchess Isabella, the Chapel of the Virgin Mary, situated in the burgh, of which they were patrons, for her College to be erected in that Chapel. The Collegiate Church, which was situated at the end of what is now known as the Broadmeadow, fell into disuse after the Reformation. An arched gateway remained at the Bankend till 1850 when railway operations caused its removal.
J Irving 1879
At a date anterior to 1330, a Chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded on the site now occupied by the railway station. This chapel was elevated into the Collegiate Church of St Mary, in 1453, by Isabella, Countess of Lennox. The only remnant of this ancient establishment is an arch "The College Bow" now standing within the grounds of the Municipal Buildings.
NS 3979 7551 A Gothic Arch, 4m wide and c.5m high bearing a bronze plate inscribed "One of the tower arches of St Mary's Collegiate Church, Dumbarton..." stands to the east of the Municipal Buildings.
Visited by OS (DS) 3 October 1956
The dedication to "St Patrick" as given by Spottiswoode, is erroneous, and should be to "St Mary".
D E Easson 1957
Irving, J , The book of Dumbartonshire [sic]: a history of the county, burghs, parishes, and lands, memoirs of families, and notices of industries carried on in the Lennox district. Edinburgh.(1879)
Easson, D E , Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man. London.(1957)
Dumbarton , Official Guide.(1954)
Dennison, E P & Coleman, R , Historic Dumbarton: the archaeological implications of development. (Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Scotland, Edinburgh)(1999)